Monday, July 16, 2012

Flame Azalea composition

OK so life got in the way of my Plan to Paint.  A strange wind storm two weeks ago left us without power for a week!  Then it took me a week to get things put back together (including myself).  For some reason that whole episode wiped me out and I had zero energy or inspiration to do anything creative.  Until today!



I know this doesn't look like much, but it represents two hours of work.  I'm trying to construct an interesting composition of the beautiful flame azalea just coming into bloom.  Of course, now in July, the flame azalea is just another bland green shrub, blending in with everything else.  But when it first comes in to flower, it is a real show stopper.  I've got lots of pictures and some sketches from back in May and June.  So today I am sketching branches and understanding how the shrub grows.  This way, I can create a branch from my photos and sketches that will be botanically accurate, even though it doesn't actually exist.  It sounds sort of sneaky, but it isn't.  It is art! As I've said before, it is in the composition that the botanical artist finds a channel for creative expression. 

I think now I've worked out in my head how I'd like to portray this specimen.  Let's see if I can get it to work on paper! 

No comments:

Post a Comment