Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pebble #1

I don't know what it is about rocks... I really enjoy drawing them.  You are going to see many pebbles and stones over the course of the year, I imagine.  This is one of my favorites.  I keep a pile of favorites next to my drawing table, artfully arranged, of course.  They have come home with me from all corners of the globe, bits of Greece and Australia and Georgian Bay and elsewhere all thrown together in a heap.  Sometimes they are part of a still life, and sometimes they are useful in flower arrangements.  Mostly I just like looking at them, thinking about their journey from mountain or ocean to my studio.  And how much energy it took over the millenium to wear them down from craggy fragment of earth to polished round smooth stone.  I don't know whether the years are buffing and polishing my rough edges like this stone, but I like to think so!

1 comment:

  1. Now this little paragraph actually brought tears to my eyes - you managed to so sincerely and simply express the wonderment of this planet that we scramble around on. And who, in their lifetime, hasn't picked up a stone and marveled at its density or colour or texture or sunny warmth or icy coolness and pondered its history (was it once a gooey liquid?) and what, we wonder, has it seen? Your sketch is perfect and beautiful. Janet

    ReplyDelete