Monday, August 29, 2011

One brush stroke




Can you see it?  Can you tell what is different in the second picture? Now I'm at a really fun stage of the painting.  I'm messing around adding details details details.  I've been away from the painting for a few weeks, so I am starting back in carefully.  I worked on the veining in the leaves and -- did you see it? -- I added the shaddow under the ladybug.  So now she's standing on the leaf, not hovering above it.  Later I might even add a suggestion of her legs! 

It is hard jumping back in after taking time away.  I have to reconnect with the picture and remember what my vision is.  I am proceeding cautiously to avoid making any blunders with too heavy a hand while I am still reaquainting myself with my subject.  I really don't like to stop work on a piece once I've begun it, but life has a way of throwing curveballs every now and then and we have to adapt. 

And this curveball was a big one.  My mother-in-law had been in declining health for a long time, and we were all prepared - or at least we thought we were - for her passing.  But even a natural, peaceful death after a long and happy life is a shocking and sad thing to those left behind.   I am not sad for her . . . I am sad for us, to have to march forward now without her star in our living family constellation.  I will miss her!  If you are interested, I am posting a tribute that I wrote shortly after she died.  It is in the 'Musings - on other stuff' section.  Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment