Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tweaking the Color

I have been working on unifying the leaves in my painting.  That is to say, taking a step back and scrutinizing what color needs to be added where to make the leaves look like they are growing from the same stem.  At this stage, I am moving all over the painting, working with one color at a time over all the leaves, rather than focusing attention on one leaf and applying many colors.  This way, the painting builds cohesion.  The composition starts to assert itself.  I will eventually go back again to each leaf and work on minute details, but right now it is important to get the whole thing looking realistic and convincing.  I am working loosely (well, as loose as you can go with a size 0 brush!) and quickly, and often stopping and stepping back to see if it reads correctly.  Now, finally, I don't really mind if someone peers over my shoulder... I am starting to feel good about what's happening on the page. 

I have made a scan of a part of the painting up close, so you can see more of what is going on.  If the resolution were better, you'd be able to see my brush strokes.  They are always in the direction of growth.  This is a cardinal rule . . . What would happen if the phone rang, and I left a green streak across the leaf?  Zebra stripes, that's what!  Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment