Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Flame Azalea - 7

Well, I've changed my mind.  Remember the issue I mentioned last post about painting the pale stamen on top of the darker petals?  I was marching assuredly along with my Stamen Solution and suddenly realized I was headed for Trouble.  Even though I tried to draw thin, fine lines with the liquid mask pen, what I ended up with was not that.  I ended up with sketchy lines that ended in blobs of goo.  I thought I could eventually paint around (and thereby shrink) the larger than necessary white lines.  In the end I realized that this would make the stamen look outlined.  I don't know whether you can follow this, but at any rate, I realized there is a better way.  I will use white gouache paint to add the stamen on top of the petals.  Gouache is opaque; and though water-based, isn't normally considered a true watercolor paint.  But watercolor artists use white gouache in just such circumstances, when there really isn't any other way to get the job done.  So after I complete the petals, I'll go back in with white to paint the stamen.  Then when that dries, I can add a transparent layer of just the right shade of pale yellow/green.  Sound like a plan?  (I don't have an image to share with this post, since the Plan is in my head and what is now on paper is an absence of liquid mask goo.)

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment