Thursday, September 27, 2012

Flame Azalea - 9

Today I got my color palette organized.  Chiefly I'm using Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Scarlet, and Ultramarine Blue. I started to work on the blossoms to the right.  I chose this spot to begin because I am left-handed, and tend to be on the messy side.  Working right to left often minimizes the chance for my left hand to cause any disasters smudging newly applied paint.   So far so good, though I am uncovering several challenges I hadn't anticipated.  For starters, flower petals are nearly transparent.  And these petals are a pale yellow-orange.  Yellow can get too heavy really fast if you don't watch it.  So I run the risk that the transparency will be lost unless I use very very thin washes of paint. Also, yellow (and therefore yellow-orange) is really difficult to shade without turning the thing icky green. The blossoms on the right side of this particular bunch are fully in shadow, and so I am working out how to get them to look darker and yet still orange and transparent.  Hmmmm... What do you think?  I'm going to keep working around the composition to build everything up evenly and will come back to this area later. 

Here's a close up of work thus far:


And here's what the whole piece looks like today:


I know, that far right petal is too blue.  Sticks out like a sore thumb.  Not to worry; I can fix that (she says confidently!)  Stay tuned!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment