Friday, April 26, 2013

Pausing for a moment

Ah, too much to do and too little time.  Not enough drawing this week!  So I was walking by my forlorn, sadly neglected fraser's sedge specimen today and stopped dead in my tracks when I noticed this:


Do you see it??  A baby flower stalk!!!!

There it is, just peeping up above the unfurling leaf.  It is bright white like a grain of sushi rice.  And looks a little sticky, too.  I am so surprised because I thought this young plant wouldn't be able to swing a flower stalk this early in its life.  Someone had reported online that their plant took three years to bloom.  Lucky me!   I will get to watch it grow, which will make it SO much easier to draw!  In this photo you can also see the slightly serrated edge of the leaf.  This is too tiny of a detail for the drawing, I think, but interesting to notice, just the same.  OK and while we are at it, staring up close and personal like this, notice the veins of the leaf -- all shooting straight up in parallel formation.  This is typical of all grasses, and I'll be sure to feature it in the drawing.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment