Friday, September 30, 2011

Old Man Tree

Taking a break from my white oak, I thought I'd share a pen and ink sketch I made recently of one of my favorite trees on the planet, Old Man Tree.  This tree is growing on an island in Georgian Bay, Ontario, where our dearest friends have a cottage.  We have been visiting their island for ten years now, and every time we go I thrill to the sight of this tree, standing tall and proud on a rocky promontory overlooking the water.  It is gnarled and bent from years of assault from the wind and weather. No telling how old this tree is, for the harsh climate stunts the growth of everything that dares to try and survive on the rocks with minimal soil and no protection. 

I love the stark beauty of this environment.  I love the massive slabs of dramatically striped granite, which could tell the full story of the Canadian Shield, if only I understood the language of geography.  I love the moss and lichen, eking out their existence on the rocks and adding to the drama with their vibrant color.  I love the sound of the water slapping the shore.  And I love Old Man Tree, the quiet sentinel, reminding me to slow down, breathe deeply, and against all adversity, feel safely rooted to the Earth.


Here's a photo to give you a sense of the drama that is Georgian Bay, and a slightly different angle of Old Man Tree, which really shows his lean . . . Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment