Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Finished?

So this is the most difficult decision one has to face when making a painting.  Is it done yet?  I suppose it is easier to know when you have finished a botanical illustration compared to, say, an abstract painting.  But still, how do you know you have nailed it?  Ann Marie Evans, whose 5-step process I follow when making a painting, says there is technically speaking a 6th step, which she calls "Messing About," in her very Brittish accent.  I really try hard not to mess about too much.  I find I get myself into a muddy mess if I fool with a painting for too long. 

The goal is to paint until you have captured the essence of your subject, as faithfully as you can, and stop yourself just moments before it becomes 'overworked'.  The only way to learn this moment is through trial and error, I have found.  When I'm at the end of a painting, I start to get obsessed with perfection.  I can't "see" the whole because I am too far down in the details.  This is when I know it is time to stop.  I put down my brushes.  I take a big step back and see if I am ready to say it is done.  I let the paper dry.  Then, the next day, I sign it.  I have a little deal with myself that once I sign a painting, I don't mess with it anymore.  That's it.

So today, I put down the brushes on my Quercus alba.  I think it is done.  What do you think?  The only thing remaining to do is clean up the few smudges and dripped paint on my white background.  I'll show you that next time.  Until then, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment