Wednesday, November 2, 2011

One Leaf a Day Challenge - #2

Euonymous.  The ubiquitous landscaping shrub everyone around here seems to have in their garden.  When we moved here, I knew next to nothing about gardening, and had the hardest time remembering the names of everything as people would walk around our property telling us what was growing here.  But for some reason, 'Euonymous' stuck.  Whenever someone would ask me what some shrub was, I'd more often than not say, "I'm not totally sure, but I think its Euonymous," and sound so knowledgeable.  It became a sort of joke.  Then I learned the common name, 'Burning Bush,' which didn't stick with me until our first fall, when our hedge of Euonymous seemed to literally catch fire.  The upper leaves turn first, to a burning hot pinkish red.  Finally the whole hedge becomes one huge mass of solid flaming color.  It is increadible!  We're about half way there as of today:

No comments:

Post a Comment