Sunday, November 6, 2011

One Leaf a Day Challenge - #6

So is there anything more graceful in nature than the leaf of a Japanese maple??  This is my favorite tree in the fall.  (Well, I'd have to say it might be my favorite anytime of the year.)  The colors that burst out of this tree like a flaming sunset over the Pacific are truly breathtaking.  From sun-kissed orange to deepest burgundy and everything in between.  Even in an unexceptional year, as far as color goes, this tree takes the blue ribbon.  What really sets this tree apart, though, are the shapes of the leaves.  They each have the requisite five lobes of a generic maple leaf , but the pointy fronds and curly-ques and delicate tendrils that spring from each lobe makes each leaf unique.  Standing next to this tree, trying to pick a sample for my post, I was overwhelmed with the variety.  So today I'm sharing a line drawing I did of one leaf, and perhaps tomorrow I'll chose another one to paint.  That way, you can appreciate the graceful shape and the vibrant colors of this magnificent fall specimen.

No comments:

Post a Comment