Friday, May 4, 2012

back to Ginger

Maybe I should change the name of this blog:  Holly's Monthly Draw!  So embarassing.  I do have fairly good excuses why I haven't sat down to the drawing table in one month . . . two birthdays, one sick kid, two weekend trips to New Haven, extra TLC for children facing Very Large papers and exams, two groups of 40 students here for dinner (pot luck, thank goodness! It's an annual event - we have it down to a science.) , opening up the pool, spring garden chores, making plans for two graduations, . . .  You get the picture.  Nothing out of the ordinary and yet so much packed in to such a short time has meant that I have totally ignored sweet Ginger, looking at me as through a gauzy film on my drawing table.

So today was the day to jump back in.  Yipee!   Drawing with colored pencils is a bit like removing gauze from your subject, come to think of it.  I apply the layers of color so gradually and I try to work the whole piece at the same time, not just section by section.  In this way, my pooch will slowly but surely jump off the page.



The first thing to nail is her eye.  You get the eyes right and the rest is a piece of cake.  If you know Ginger you will agree that I've nailed it so far.  It is fun working with a white subject.  I'm building up shaddows to create her form, taking care to leave the highlighted white bits alone.   This is all I had time for today, but hey, it is better than nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment