Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Painting Under Pressure

Last month, we attended a charity dinner and auction at our kids' school.  Somewhere between the main course and the dessert, our friend George asked me whether I'd donate a painting to another charity auction event for an organization he's affiliated with.  I should tell you it is a fabulous arts organization and I was honored he asked me.  Was it the wine?  Was it the flattering way he asked?  Was it the fact that he is the president of the board of said organization?  Not sure, but I said yes.  Then I put it in the back of my mind, in the 'After April' file. 

So the other day, we received the invitation to this lovely charity event and auction, with a note of gratitude for my soon-to-be-donated painting.  This is the painting which I had filed away in the 'After April' part of my brain.  That is to say, I haven't done it yet!  As you will recall, I did no painting of any sort in April.  Unfortunately, I don't have a ready stash of framed work.  One day I will, but not yet anyway!  And many of my pieces I can't part with.  Not yet, anyway.  So it is back to the drawing board, literally, to create a fairly quick yet exceptional botanical piece of art that can be donated to a silent auction event on May 23.  Allowing time for framing, I have less than a week to get this done.  No worries.

I'll spare you the thought process and the dead ends and the many ideas I have rejected for one reason or another.  It is going to be a painting of an artichoke.  Solitary. Beautiful greens and burgundys.  The symmetry and geometry always appealing.  Should interest anyone who likes botanical art, and also those looking to fill a blank wall in the kitchen or powder room.  Not too large (obviously!) but not too small either.

So buckle up your seatbelts . . . here we go:

No comments:

Post a Comment