Monday, February 18, 2013

Bud Break

If I had to come up with a word to explain why I haven't posted anything new on this blog in the past several months, I would have to say it was due to dormancy.  That is to say, I went dormant.  Like the shrubs and trees in winter, I drew all my vital energy down to my roots and went quiet for a spell.  I don't know . . . It could have been the changes our family is going through, emptying the nest. It could be my adjustment to not being needed quite so very much.  At any rate, I recognized that no amount of forcing was going to get me going again.  It just needed time.  I hoped that eventually renewed creativity would well up inside and want out, like the sap rising in spring.

And it did.

 
Several days ago I went out to clip some branches from our witch hazel trees because I noticed them breaking bud.  Inside our house, where it is nice and warm, the buds quickly began to open and this is what it looks like today.



The brown buds swell up and pop open, and teeny flat confetti-like petals unfurl like little yellow pom-poms.  Here in dreary February, it is as if Nature is sending us a cheer-leading squad. Hang in there! You can make it to Spring! Yes you can! Outside in the landscape, I see our three witch hazel trees with their branches all pointing up to the sky like so many arms outstretched.  Yellow pom poms waving at me, You Go Girl!

I feel the ideas flowing again.  The desire to paint for long stretches in quiet solitude in my sun-washed studio.    Channeling creativity in new directions and with greater purpose.  About a month ago I wondered if I'd ever get back to this blog.  After all, the internet is crammed with chatter and does my small voice make any difference one way or the other?  Oh yes, it does. It makes a difference to you, dear reader. And it makes a difference to me.  And in life, if we can touch others hearts even in small ways, isn't it worth the effort?

So now if you will excuse me, I need to get back to my paints.





1 comment:

  1. I am happy Holly's Daily Draw is back!

    The most interesting coincidence happened which I wanted to share. I had never seen a picture of witch hazel in bloom, and I was so taken with the beauty of it all. Later that day I was reading a journal by a local (Chattanooga) woman, painter, naturalist, poet from 1915 and she mentioned witch hazel in bloom! And I could picture it right there on the page - thank you!

    ReplyDelete